As I mentioned in my last blog post, I recently remade some of my sea creatures in the 3"x3" size by request. It was not a small undertaking; I had to re-sculpt my old designs one by one, and then pour seven new plaster molds. The whole project was fairly time consuming. Here is a photo of part of the sculpting process:
After I was satisfied with how they looked, I made molds of them. Making molds is always a bit stressful, because the original is usually destroyed in the mold making process. Fortunately, all the molds turned out great, so now I am able to make hundreds of replicas of the originals. The first batch to come out of the kiln were all white:
Here is a close up of some of the first set of these tiles to come out of the kiln:
After these shipped out, I made some more in "watercolor blue" glaze and shipped them to indigenous gallery in Cincinnati to be part of their upcoming tenth (and final) artTILE show. More on that soon!
I am pleased with how all of these turned out, but I am especially partial to the 3"x3" sand dollar in blue:
Here is one last picture, with a bit of my hand in the frame for size reference:
All of these tiles can be found in the 3"x3" tile category.